Transcribe Page

House Journal 1826 (30-318941-P036A.pdf)


Petitions of Jacob McGaw & als & report thereon, taken from last years files – of Reuben H Green & als a committee of manufacturers Bank – came from the Senate referred to the Committee on Banks & Banking for concurrence – and the House concurred

Petition of Elijah Morse & als taken from last years files of Senate – came from the Senate referd to the committee on the incorporation of towns for concurrence – and the House concurred.

Agreeably to assignment at twelve o clock, the two branches assembled in the Representatives Chamber and proceeded by ballot to the election of a Counsellor for Hancock District in the room of Joseph Shaw Esquire who declined accepting the office – The whole number of ballots given in was One hundred and twenty eight – necessary to a choice Sixty five – Samuel Whitney Esq had One hundred & twenty five and he was declared elected.

The Committee to whom was referred the petition of Henry Flagg & als, reported a Bill – and the report was accepted.

Bill to incorporate the Proprietors of the Central Burying Ground in Waldoboro” was read 1st & 2nd time and tomorrow at 10 o clock assigned for a 3d reading.

The Committee appointed to enquire into the expediency of passing an act to prohibit the setting of fires &c reported a Bill and the report was accepted.

Bill additional act to prevent mischief by fires in the woods – was read once & ordered to lie on the table

The Committee appointed on the 13th inst on the subject of a revision of the Rules & orders &c, made a report proposing an enlargement of the committee on the Judiciary – and the House refused to accept the same.

Description: The journal of the House of Representatives documents the proceedings in the chamber, including actions taken on bills, petitions and reports from committees read, and votes taken. The journals are not transcripts and therefore do not include floor speeches that are found in the modern Legislative Records.

Link to document in Digital Maine

Language: English

Date: 1826

Image 70 of 374