Transcribe Page

House Journal 1826 (30-318941-P033A.pdf)

56

Petition of Anthony Merchant & report thereon, taken from the files of the Senate of last year, came from the Senate referd to the committee on State Lands for concurrence and the House concurred.

Petition of Neal DeShaw & als for authority to open a sluice or passage way for logsby the several dams on the Salt water falls at Calais – read and refd to Messrs Pillsbury of Eastport Mowry of Lubec and Hill of Machias

Bill to incorporate the Morning Star Lodge, was read 1st and 2nd time and tomorrow at 10 o clock assigned for a 3d reading

Bill to incorporate a Society for the relief of the Penobscot Indians was read a 1st & 2nd time and tomorrow at 10 o clock assigned for a 3d reading.

Bill to divide the South Parish and to establish the East Parish in Augusta – was read a 1st & 2nd time & tomorrow at 10 o clock assigned for a 3d reading.

Bill to change the name of the town of Jay, was read a third time and passed to be engrossed. Sent up for concurrence.

Bill to incorporate the Waterford Canal Company, was read 1st & 2nd time and tomorrow at 10 o clock assigned for a 3d reading.

An order came from the Senate directing the committee on the Judiciary to enquire as to the expediency of authorizing tenants in common to join in commencing & prosecuting writs of Entry and Writs of right as to the expediency of authorizing any one of the Justices of the Supreme Judicial court; to cause any person indicted for a Capital offence to be arraigned before him, and to render judgement and pronounce sentence agst such as may plead guilty – and as to the expediency of making provision that mortgages shall not maintain

Description: The journal of the House of Representatives documents the proceedings in the chamber, including actions taken on bills, petitions and reports from committees read, and votes taken. The journals are not transcripts and therefore do not include floor speeches that are found in the modern Legislative Records.

Link to document in Digital Maine

Language: English

Date: 1826

Image 64 of 374